ArmrestsDecember 1, 2023
Brittany FerriesDecember 6, 2023
Kitsap Fast Ferries
Comfort and responsiveness from UES Marine seating
When Kitsap Fast Ferries wanted to refurbish one of its commuter vessels, it chose to partner with UES Marine, which was able to deliver a customised solution that met rider comfort requirements while being durable and low maintenance.
The project focused on the MV Finest, a ferry that carries commuters from Kitsap County to Seattle through the Puget Sound, a journey that typically takes 40 minutes each way.
- MV Finest is a 350 seat, aluminium hulled catamaran that was purchased by Kitsap Transit in 2018 and required a full refit.
- The refit included replacing all the passenger seats and about a dozen tables.
- Passenger preferences are very important, they want a pleasant travel experience and comfortable ride in ergonomic seating.
- The marine seating and furniture needed to be durable, easy to maintain and constructed with long lasting fabrics that don’t fade or rip.
- Tracks from the original furniture needed to be retained.
- A last minute requirement of a new helm seat with a very specific design incorporating the rudder controls in the seat.
- UES Marine was recommended to supply and install the new seating and tables by the boat builder, Nichols Brothers.
UES Marine fitouts for commuter vessels, fast ferries, ROPAX, RHIBs and workboats, and military vessels include a range that includes premium passenger seating, marine tables, captain’s seating and marine furniture.
For Kitsap Fast Ferries, MV Finest the UES Marine team specified and supplied high back Sea Force seats and fully customised slim leg tables.
Sea Force seats are available in a range of configurations, including different widths and back heights. Every product in the range is lightweight, has a low fire load and meets gold standard ergonomic guidelines.
Retaining the tracks from the original furniture lowers cost and is also an environmental consideration, keeping discarded materials out of landfill.
Customised and fitted a LUXHelm helm seat that incorporates the rudder controls in the seat
Customisation is available for all products, including working within existing layouts and elements of fitout that will be retained.
- UES Marine provided a solution that retained the historical design essence of these iconic ferries, was compliant with all new statutes and regulations, while also being commercially viable for a public entity spending taxpayer money.
- The seats are the centrepiece of the passenger cabin aesthetics and the design delivers excellence in comfort, appearance, construction and allows for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- In less than a week UES Marine customised and fitted a new helm seat and Kitsap Fast Ferries are now looking to have UES Marine replace the other helm seat in the cabin.
- Based on the positive experience with the MV Finest fitout, Kitsap Fast Ferries has now specified UES Marine seating for two additional vessels.
“We were very impressed by the product solution they came up with. Our customers want a pleasant travel experience, which means a comfortable ride with ergonomic seating that is not too hard. And for us, we need marine furniture that is durable and easy to maintain. And of course, responsive customer service is always important. We got all of that with UES Marine.”
Marine Services Director, Kitsap Transit